Friday, August 16, 2024

What's wrong with Nissan GT-Rs? Why aren't they more popular?


-transmission isn't great...clunky at low speeds 
-if you use launch control or immediately voids the warranty
-transmission upgrade $14K-$25K
They're cool cars, but I think there's a lot of cars that offer "more" at the same price point. Audi R8, 996 Turbo, Porsche 997/991, Lotus, M3, Ferrari 360...
Horsepower upgrades: In general you will see in the 575-625whp range on a well-tuned Full Bolt On setup with pump fuel, and 650-700ish with E85. Full Bolt On isn't a precise thing, but generally downpipes, fuel pumps, injector, intake, ECU flash. Sometimes a better intercooler. Things you can 'bolt on' without dropping the engine down. 
I've put a TON of miles on the these on track. They're undoubtedly fast, capable, and a bargain for the performance potential. 
However, they just don't do much for me beyond being fast. I know this is highly subjective, but it doesn't excite me. Which everybody says and is almost cliche now, but it never made me want to drive it more than I had to if there was a GT3 or something more visceral.
I think while they are fun cars they have a lot of quirks. The transmission sounds like a dump truck while reversing, and while they are fast they do feel disconnected. Plus the fact that they have been produced since 2008 with only minor changes causes them to lose a lot of the halo effect they used to have.
- they actually feel vintage in a good way since they have a real hand operating parking brake, hydraulic power steering, etc. I think I like them even more now than I did when they were new since I'm not a fan of ultra-modern stuff for the most part.

I owned one (model year 2014) for over 4 years and got to know the car fairly well. It has some downsides that Kevin mentioned (dual h clutch transmission is pretty low tech by modern standards, they are large in parking lot situations, etc), but they have serious upsides too in that they can do everything from commuting in traffic to running mega speeds in half mile racing. Overall, I remain a big fan of the cars, and they are likely to become somewhat collectible now that production is coming to an end.

I love GTR's, owned multiple Z's, and was sort of a Nissan guy. I didn't get one when I finally made enough money because a base 911 costs about the same used, handles better on the track, and is available in manual.
While they are a blast to drive hard, I never enjoyed them if you were ever in traffic, or cruising. They have a very loud transmission, and they want to go. They are certainly a lot of bang for the buck, and can produce crazy power, but I do feel they lack some things people look for say in a Porsche, BMW...
Downsides:
Expensive for a Nissan.
Rare (~20K made over 15 years), means expensive parts
Heavy for a sports car in 2008
Early models known for fragile l transmission, and Nissan treated owners badly
Too big/heavy for Autocross
Not all that quick on a road course for a modern car
Mostly known for big HP drag builds, but this means they have all been modified (like an STi)
Design has been made for 15 years basically unchanged



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers