Monday, June 5, 2023

Surrender Quotes by Bono

Perfect audiobook for your next road trip! We're all lucky Bono waited until now to deliver this epic audiobook autobiography, as time has granted the perspective of self-deprecation, self-awareness, remorse, wisdom, candor, ego, and experience that rise off the pages in his surprisingly engaging, endearingly happy Irish lilt. 
The audiobook is punctuated with impromptu, unplugged performances purpose-made for the audiobook. Beautifully and compellingly written with a surprisingly good vocabulary (think "inchoate","invective," "palimpsest," "bacchanalia.") And embellished with not only the half-century love story with his middle-school sweetheart, but gems like the ten commandments of punk rock. And it contains a lot of his anti-establishment but deep Christian faith that ranges from the occasional f-bomb to billion-dollar altruism through his connections at high levels. A delightful invitation to journey through the life of a rock star. 

Surrender: 40 Songs, One Story https://a.co/d/14nUwe6

Surrender - Libby https://share.libbyapp.com/title/8988566


"Fame is a currency. I want to spend mine on the right stuff."

"I'm not sure a professional psychologist would agree, but something in me understands that until we deal with our most traumatic traumas, there's a part of us that stays at the age at which we encountered them."

"I could get angry if I saw people in corners of the world begging for a breath, fighting for their life through hunger or illness, and then see privileged people throwing their life away. I know this is deeply unsound thinking. I know people can be in such a dark place that they'll do anything to escape it, including escaping this life itself. I know it's not a loving response, but that was the furious me writing the lyric of "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of.""

"I'm suspicious of the idea of oneness. I don't buy into the homogeneity of the human experience. I don't think we're all one. We can be one, but I don't think we have to see things the same way for that to be so. An anarchic thought: We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other, not that we've got to, just that we get to."

"You can disagree on everything but still work together on one thing... if that one thing is important enough."

"Well, while I hope God is with those of us who live such comfortable lives, I know God is with the poorest and most vulnerable."

"God is in the silence of a mother who has infected her child with a virus that will end both their lives. God is in the cries heard under the rubble of war. God is in the debris of wasted opportunity and lives, and God is with us if we are with them."

"There's stuff you can learn from people who don't tell you anything. Like how not to react when there is a crisis. Like how to stay still and maybe even unearth levity from the seriousness of a situation. Edge is the silence inside every noise."

"The arc of the moral universe does not bend toward justice. It has to be bent, and this requires sheer force of will. It demands our sharpest focus and most concentrated effort. History does not move in a straight line; it has to be dragged, kicking and screaming, all the way down the line."


"Every age has its massive moral blind spots. We might not see them, but our children will."

Campaigning for support for AIDS drugs for Africa:
"Where you live should not determine whether you live, or whether you die"

"In my dream, I was drowning my sorrows
But my sorrows...they learned to swim"

"We can't fix all problems but we must fix the ones we can"

"To touch is to heal, to hurt is to steal, if you want to kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers