Saturday, September 3, 2022

Book: Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir by Ruth Reichl

Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir https://g.co/kgs/fo9KgW

This is such a good book. 

She has spent years as the editor of gourmet magazine, and employs a plethora of vocabulary perfectly. More specifically, her entire lexicon is words that make you want to experience what she experienced. They're aspirational. She effortlessly writes in a way that entices you towards grandeur and lavishness. 

Some excerpts: 
"I close my eyes and feel the flavors somersaulting through my mouth, a circus of sensations." 

"Mom ignored this as she shifted into the aggressive tone she used at her most manic. By then we'd learned to read Mom's moods; after years on a psychiatrist's couch she'd finally been diagnosed as bipolar, and we'd come to expect the extreme swings that moved through her like weather, altering every aspect of her being." 

"How young you are. When you attain my age you will understand one of life's great secrets: Luxury is best appreciated in small portions. When it becomes routine it loses its allure."

On 5-star hotels, and yearning for her shoestring-budget student travel days:
"The more stars in your itinerary, the less likely you are to find the real life of another country. I'd forgotten how money becomes a barrier insulating you from ordinary life." 

"The best antidote for sadness, I have always believed, is tackling something that you don't know how to do."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers