Thursday, March 25, 2010

Practicing the Presence of God

This book was written more than 400 years ago. A short little pamphlet barely 50 pages, it describes a kitchen worker in a monastery who decided it was important to pray to God continually throughout his day. His faith is so simple and humble, yet profound as it comes through in these pages.
One of my favorite lines is "When an occasion of practicing some virtue was offered, he addressed himself to God saying, "Lord, I cannot do this unless Thou enablest me". And then he received strength more than sufficient. When he had failed in his duty, he only confessed his fault saying to God, "I shall never do otherwise, if You leave me to myself. It is You who must hinder my falling and mend what is amiss." Then, after this, he gave himself no further uneasiness about it
" His understanding of his own failing and weakness, and despite that his willingness to persevere, is an example to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Followers